Reinforced plastic pallets are incredibly hard-wearing and ideal for a range of applications, but they are also eco-friendly. At INKA Pallets, the majority of our plastic pallets for sale are made from recycled plastics, and our whole range of pallets can be recycled at the end of service.
These are just some of the benefits that make plastic pallets an attractive and viable option for most businesses. However, given that wooden pallets are still regarded as the traditional option, there’s a lot to be learnt about plastic pallets, their advantages, and how they can benefit the business that uses them.
As leading suppliers of standard and specialised plastic pallets for sale in the UK, we are best placed to provide a comprehensive guide, so keep reading to learn more.
Types of Plastic Pallets
There are several types of plastic pallets available to suit a broad range of needs. It’s important to understand the different types so you can choose the right option for you. Below is a list of the main types of plastic pallets, but we offer more than those listed below. You can view our full range of plastic pallets here.
If you have a lot of items to store in one place, nestable plastic pallets are a good option because they are the most space saving. The legs of the pallets slot into one another, allowing this type of pallet to take up roughly a quarter of the space required by other types of pallets.
Nestable pallets are commonly used in storage yards as they can be stacked up to 70 units high across a 2.2m stack. The ingenuity of the nestable design means they’re also ideal for transporting as more pallets can be slotted onto one truck, reducing the need for return journeys. Added to the recyclable nature of the plastic material, nestable pallets make for an eco-friendly option all around.
Pallets can easily take up a lot of space in your warehouse, so if you find that you’re running out of room, consider swapping to nestable pallets. They often offer much better value than stackable pallets without compromising on any usability benefits.
We offer a wide range of nestable export pallets at competitive prices. You can browse our range and see our available sizes here.
Rackable pallets are broadly considered to be the most heavy-duty type of industrial plastic pallets. This is due to the fact they have at least three runners or full perimeter bases, which allow weight to be more evenly distributed for greater stacking heights. For added strength, some rackable pallets have steel profiles to provide reinforcement and increase the loading capacity up to 1,800kg.
As the name suggests, rackable pallets are ideal for storing on top of open beam racking in storage warehouses and facilities. If you have closed-off racking and want to learn more about rackable plastic pallets at INKA Pallets, you can browse our range here.
Unlike wooden pallets, plastic pallets can easily be wiped down, which makes them a great option for the food and pharmaceutical industries. At INKA Pallets, our hygiene pallets are manufactured using food-approved virgin high-density polyethylene plastic that doesn’t absorb chemicals. There are also no gaps, which means nothing can seep into crevices, ensuring a completely wipeable and sterile surface.
To prevent cross-contamination, we provide hygiene pallets in a wide range of colours and can also print your branding or sequential numbering onto the pallets. On top of this, they are hard-wearing and can withstand heavy weights. To find out more about hygiene pallets, you can view our range here.
For shipping purposes, container pallets are the best option. They are specifically designed to fit optimally within 20 ft or 40 ft sea containers. Due to their design and nature, all our container pallets can hold loads exceeding one tonne when evenly distributed. Their recyclable material makes them a better and sturdier option compared to wooden pallets.
You can view our selection of plastic shipping container pallets here.
Advantages of Plastic Pallets vs. Wood Pallets
The biggest question people ask about plastic pallets is what are their advantages over wood pallets? Well, there are several, including:
- Environmentally friendly – although it may seem as though wooden pallets are more environmentally friendly than our plastic pallets, the opposite is true. Many of our plastic pallets are manufactured using recycled materials, and at the end of their life cycle can then be reintroduced into the system to be recycled again. In fact, our plastic pallets have a life cycle that is more than treble that of a wooden pallet.
- ISPM15 is the regulation relating to wooden pallets used in exports, implemented to eliminate the spread of non-indigenous parasites, which could lead to diseases in plants and plant products. ISPM15 accreditation is achieved by putting the wood packaging material through a specific heat treatment process. Plastic pallets automatically meet the regulations outlined by ISPM15, which gives immediate peace of mind and guarantees that your export load is compliant throughout Europe and beyond.
- Easier to transport – plastic is more durable than wood, which means the risk of breaking down after several trips is limited.
- Safer to handle – unlike wood pallets, plastic pallets won’t splinter and are less likely to give way under heavy weights due to how they’re manufactured.
- Space-saving – nestable plastic pallets, in particular, are incredibly space-saving compared to wood pallets, making them a great option for those who need to save floor space.
- More hard-wearing – plastic pallets aren’t susceptible to things like wood rot, meaning they are far more hygienic and longer-lasting, particularly on journeys where they may get weathered.
Order Plastic Pallets Today
If you want more information on plastic pallets or plastic pallet boxes, or if you want to place an order for plastic pallets with INKA Pallets, please get in touch with us, and we will be happy to help you find the right solution for your needs.